Monday, April 7, 2008

Young@Heart sing 'Fix You' by Coldplay

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2u6k-99qcCE

This is from a documentary shown on Channel 4 in the UK called 'Young@Heart'; the name of the New England octogenarian chorus line. The performer here is Fred Knittle, who suffers from congestive heart failure. This song was intended to be a duet between Fred and another chorus member, Bob Salvini. Sadly, Bob died of a heart attack and it was left to Fred to carry the song on his own. If I'm correct, the people you see crying at 01:13 are Bob's family. The lady you occasionally see mouthing the lyrics in the audience is Fred's wife.


I don't remember now whose blog I found this on, but they said it made them cry. I thought, 'Oh, how silly. How would some old man singing make you cry?' Well, it's partially the old man singing, and it's partially the back story and it's partially the lyrics and I CRIED TOO.

No comments: